Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tis the Season Pt 2: Fine Beers, Fine Books

Need some holiday gift ideas for that Beer Geek in your life?  Well take a look because your answer might be in a book!

I have spent the better part of the last two years building my library of beer books.  Some books were worth there weight in Pilsner, others not so much.

Before we dive into the best, let's start with what I personally avoid.  I like to avoid books that talk about specific beers.  First off most of these books talk about beers that I will never drink.  Second, these books don't stand the test of time and breweries come and go.  I prefer books that talk about beers in general.  That way when I go to a store and by a "Eis Bock", I know what I am getting into.

So without further ado here are some of my favorites (Link to Amazon provided):



Tasting Beer by Randy Mosher: This book has it all.  The history of beer, beer/food pairings, the science of beer, beer styles and much much more.  This is my favorite book on beer and you will find no better.

 

Amber Waters:  The History of Brewing in Minnesota by Doug Hoverson:  This book was given to me by a former boss and it was the inspiration that started my love affair with beer.  This is a great history book about the brewing industry in our great state!

 

The Oxford Companion to Beer by Garret Oliver:  Let me begin by saying that this is not a book for reading.  This is an encyclopedia for beer.  This book is great for those Beer Geeks that see a new term and need a resource to look it up.  This is the ultimate resource for all things Beer.


The Brewmaster's Table by Garret Oliver:  Want the ultimate book about beer with food?  Look no further.  Not only does it give great pairings and recipes but comes with a great story

 

He Said Beer She Said Wine by Sam Calagione and Marnie Old:  Got a partner that like wine?  Maybe this is the book for you.  I found this book to by funny and informative as two experts in their field go back and forth about the differences and similarities between wine and beer.

   

The Brewmaster's Bible by Stephen Snyder: Finally one for the homebrewers.  I haven't found a question about homebrewing that this book couldn't answer.  The ultimate resource about my favorite hobby.  This book goes into detailed depth about a variety of hops, wheat, and everything else that goes into beer.

There are plenty of other great Beer Books out there, these are just a handful of my favorites reads.  So if you are looking for a great beer related gift for the Beer Geek in your life crack open one of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment